Sunday, March 21, 2010

iPhones etc

Read an article today about resisting the technology of 'smartphones'. The author questioned the necessity of having such a gadget which at the end of the day, most people just use as a phone anyways.

Got me thinking.

As I look around me, more than one of my classmates own an iPhone. Several more own a similarly advanced 'smartphone'. Blackberries aren't so common, but then again, we haven't yet entered the working world and hence, a Blackberry isn't exactly the age appropriate fashion statement. iPhones are way more trendy.

Yet, do we really use all the applications on our phones?

I see the new iPhone owners clicking away on their new gadget. Engrossed. From playing games, to checking emails to reading downloaded books. It seems, if it was possible, they would fit their whole lives onto their phones. And for good reason too, considering the money they spent on them. And so, for them, all I can say is if you can afford it, go ahead.

But is it for everybody?

I will be the first to shout no. A phone is personal. Everyone uses their phone differently. Tell my Mum that she needs to get a thousand dollar touch phone and she'll smack me in the face. After all, she only uses the phone to make calls to her children and send them 'warning' texts. For her and many others of her generation that can still remember the days when using a computer meant staring at a huge screen at the university library, just the mere fact that they can make calls from a tiny device they can tout around in their bags are baffling enough. Even then, most of the time she prefers to call from our house landline, it never runs out of battery she says.

And not just the older generation. More and more nowadays I catch my friends reverting back to the early generation Nokias. The ones with no colored screen and doesn't even receive MMS. When I ask why, its more hardy they say. You can drop them in a puddle and they'll still work. We only use the phone to call & text anyways, who needs so many applications? Plus their batteries last forever. :P

1 comment:

lofty @ce said...

"It seems, if it was possible, they would fit their whole lives onto their phones."

it's true as in my case. well, i used my iTouch(not a phone) for almost everything. i organize and plan my day with it, i learn medical from it, i take inspiration from it(from motivational app), i read hadith, Quran and its translation inside it, i play the games in it. i manage my budget with it.

but i use it not just because of the money i spent on it, but because i want to become a better person by having it.

so that in front of God later, when i am to be asked for what i spent my money on it, i'll be able to answer it. and because of that little expensive thing, i hope i gain rewards from Him.

and though i have a separate, much cheaper and shabby phone, it's still a lot meaningful to me.

idk if u can understand what i am saying. i value things not because they are expensive, or because they look smart, but because i need them for everything that they could do for me. that's why i love it =)